As we get ready for Dreamforce 2010, I thought I’d share an interesting interactive CRM Software History posted on the Software Advice blog. According to the author, “the timeline includes 18 key events that have shaped the CRM software industry over the last 30 years. It’s a quick way to understand the context of current events in the industry.”
It’s a work in progress, but a few quick observations:
- Anyone remember sales.com?
- What about Upshot?
- No mention of Siebel OnDemand or now Oracle OnDemand
- No mention of many of the Salesforce innovations post 1999: AppExchange, Force.com, Apex Code, $1B in revenues, Chatter….
- Is Social CRM ready to be included or is it not quite ready for prime time?
- Sweet picture of Tom Siebel in 1993
- Speaking of Siebel, the positioning of their acquisition by Oracle is pretty harsh:
“With little light at the end of the tunnel, Siebel agrees to become the next addition to Oracle’s pile of acquired enterprise applications.”
What else is missing? What’s next? What are your thoughts? Accurate timeline or a bit of revisionist history?
You can view the CRM Software History timeline here.