If you’re at a company that has already made a significant investment in on-premise business intelligence tools, instead of placing a bet on an early-stage SaaS business intelligence vendor, it seems to me that for many use cases a better approach would be to consider an on-demand data replication service that will help you leverage your existing investments. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still a big believer in SaaS BI for many use cases, but it’s still early days for most of the vendors in this space, most of whom are targeting organizations who have not already made investments in on-premise data warehousing and reporting and analysis tools. If you’re a Salesforce.com customer, here are some use cases for a cloud-based data replication service:
- Trying to access and analyze Salesforce data with on-premise reporting tools like Crystal Reports, Cognos, or even Microsoft Excel.
- Having difficulty joining more than two objects in Salesforce for reporting purposes.
- Struggling to ensure consistent, accurate, up-to-date, and integrated data from Salesforce and other enterprise data sources.
With a true SaaS data replication service, you can:
- Integrate real-time CRM data into your on-premise business intelligence and reporting systems.
- Ensure that any new changes to your Salesforce data model are automatically reflected in your local reporting solution.
- Deliver timely, trusted, and accurate data from Salesforce and other systems for pervasive business intelligence.