There’s a good cloud data integration overview on the Processor website this week that picks up on the challenges of “SaaS sprawl.” The article provides IT managers an overview of the data management challenges they should consider before migrating business applications to SaaS. Specifically:
- The biggest problems when trying to incorporate internal data sources into an online application provider; what sorts of problems should IT managers expect?
- Best practices or technology services that can keep data in cloud or SaaS apps synchronized with internal systems
- Methods for seamlessly pulling data from internal data sources into cloud apps
- Issues when moving data between internal and external repositories, such as synchronization complexities or data quality concerns (when moving from one format or schema to another).
- Contingencies for migrating data to or from one cloud provider to another; standards and technologies that can facilitate data portability
Loraine Lawson also wrote about the article in this post: Is SaaS/Cloud Adoption too Easy?